State versus independent school

Do you have experience of both systems and have an opinion on which is best? Post it here

Don’t think there is a simple answer to this - there are some dreadful and outstanding schools in both systems.

We have chosen to live in an area with outstanding state provision - our local secondary is regularly in the top 10 state secondaries in Scotland. It would seem pointless to pay £20k a year to send kids to the local private school when the results are about the same. If we were living in another area with very poor state provision, it would certainly be something to consider.

I agree … it depends on the local options available. Additionally, at the primary level, many prep schools are not keeping up with the tough 11+ entrance requirements of good secondary independent or grammar schools. Parents in both the sectors are having to pay for private tuition. So if the local state primary is good then why not save school fees, at least at the primary level, and spend that on private tuition instead?

It depends on which school you’re talking about. I went to a state school, and did very well there. Yet at that same school now, there are many problems which means that parents are looking to take their children away from the school.

I know of a few people who go to independent schools and are having a fantastic experience, but this might not be true in all cases.

I have always been a strong believer that every child will thrive in an environment that is right for them, and it is the job of the parents to work out which environment that is. It is a tricky decision sometimes, but by weighing up the pros and cons of each choice, you should find that you are able to make the right one.

I would not judge a school based on whether it’s state or independently run, but rather on it current performance and the behaviour of the majority of students it produces. I don’t really see the point of spending over £20K to send my children to an independent school if it’s only as good as the next state school. Where we live, the three secondary schools we have in all above average compare to most independent schools in the area and in England. I also have a number of friends who went to boarding schools, all of them refuses to send their children to independent school.